New FG085, completely dead?

jane

New FG085, completely dead?

Post by jane »

I just purchased and assembled an FG085 kit. When I plugged it in and turned it on, nothing happened. The LCD is completely dark (no back light). I've swept the backlight trimpot several turns in each direction (it doesn't seem to "stop" at either end. Is that normal for this trimpot?). I've visually checked every solder joint, and reflowed a few to be sure. I removed the LCD and applied 5VDC to the backlight pins (A, K / 15, 16), and confirmed that the LCD backlight is ok.

I have board rev 109-08500-00G.

Using my multimeter, I can't find any DC voltage on the board when it's powered on. It reads 0VDC at the "+5V" pad near C5, and 0VDC at the "V+" and VRAW pads near the USB port, and 0VDC at all of the LCD backlight (15-16) and power supply (1-3) pins.

My board is marked with C10 positive (+ / square) pad closest to the power and USB jacks. I found a photo of the "F" revision board that appears to have C10 reversed from the way my "G" rev board is marked. I removed C10 and checked with my multimeter and confirmed that there is continuity between my C10 "+" pad and all of the ground pads and other electrolytic (-) pads. Is the marking wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help troubleshooting this.
jye1

Re: New FG085, completely dead?

Post by jye1 »

Please first check the power input at connector J1. Do you get 15V there?
jane

Re: New FG085, completely dead?

Post by jane »

Just to follow up, in case anyone is interested:

I worked with JYE tech support via email to test a few things, and confirmed that there was an open connection within the board, between the diode bridge and the power switch. They were good enough to send me a replacement kit since this board is faulty. I haven't received the replacement yet, but the shipment tracking shows that the replacement kit has arrived in the US, and it will probably be delivered within a few days, unless it gets hung up in customs for some reason.

Thanks to JYE tech support for working with me to troubleshoot this problem, and for sending a replacement!