FG085 Freezes

ab4gs

FG085 Freezes

Post by ab4gs »

The build went fine and the unit worked for about 30 minutes, then froze. When I connect power again, I see the 1st splash screen but the unit freezes. If I turn it off for a couple of minutes it will eventually power all the way to the functional state. Everything is fine until I change the waveform to USER, it then freezes and the whole process starts over. It will seldom boot all the way to a functional state usually gets only to the first screen or sometimes to the second screen but does not complete the line:

DDS: 08502-

If if leave it off for a while, it will then work again.

What could be the issue? I have checked all switches for orientation and solder. Made sure none were stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick
jye1

Re: FG085 Freezes

Post by jye1 »

Was it true that the unit worked properly as long as USER waveform is nsot selected? Did you see any delay in response when you change frequency? It looks there is problem with the communication between chip U5 and U6. When USER waveform is selected waveform data is loaded to U6 from U5. This process may get stuck if the commnication goes wrong.
ab4gs

Re: FG085 Freezes

Post by ab4gs »

jye1 wrote:Was it true that the unit worked properly as long as USER waveform is nsot selected? Did you see any delay in response when you change frequency? It looks there is problem with the communication between chip U5 and U6. When USER waveform is selected waveform data is loaded to U6 from U5. This process may get stuck if the commnication goes wrong.
It does seem to work fine as long as you do not change to USER waveform ... sometimes it will not freeze when passing thru the USER setting on the waveform pushbutton. It is very erratic. Turning the unit off for a while seems to get the unit working again. If I turn it back on quickly after freezing, the unit will freeze in one of the splash screens.

Rick