FG085 Broken?

PeteJM

FG085 Broken?

Post by PeteJM »

Hello All,

I recently purchased an FG085 off of amazon from JYE and assembled it via the instructions as per specification. I had everything working perfectly and the unit was generating waveforms and displaying perfectly on my oscope. Then suddenly after tweaking some of the settings to test the generator, my unit reported 999.999 sec (Instead of 1,000 Hz) on a SINE... I scratched my head a bit as nothing was showing and then shut the unit down. After letting it sit for about five minutes, then powering it back up the same settings were displayed, and when I pressed the ADJ button used with the trimpot it went into a test function, and then a button test function with nothing being output on the BNC. Then the unit reported some sort of chip failure.

If you like I can post pictures, but the unit is not currently outputting anything but a default sine, and no settings can be adjusted. Any help would be appreciated and so would a resolution so I could get it working again... Or possibly get it replaced.

[Build Specs: Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 60/40 .031 w/ MG Chemicals 835 Liquid Rosin Flux, [Non Corrosive and Non Conductive residue] used for assembly and an iron set for 200c]
jye1

Re: FG085 Broken?

Post by jye1 »

Please first try removing the front panel to see if any button stuck. It will help if photos are posted.
PeteJM

Post by PeteJM »

jye1 wrote:Please first try removing the front panel to see if any button stuck. It will help if photos are posted.
Well, after powering the unit back on after it sitting for 48 hours, the buttons un-stuck themselves and I was able to set it from 999.999sec to 1000Hz back to default. Only after testing the numpad did I notice that both the two and eight buttons are completely stuck when depressed and take some wiggling to get loose and reset...

Where can I purchase more buttons that can be used with this? Is there a mouser or digikey PN?

I know that quality controlling all of the parts for this unit at the price-point that it is presented at is insane, so I am not too angry :) Im just happy the whole unit is not defective.

Peter
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Please use Mouser PN#: 612-TL2230-OA (manufacturer PN#: TL2230OAF140). See http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Sw ... yw0FfnU%3d.

Watch for orientation when installing.
PeteJM

Post by PeteJM »

So this is a bit odd, I was de-soldering the BNC Plug and part of the contact lifted... Hopefully this does not happen with the two buttons that need to be swapped, but if it does, how can I get another board? Its starting to get pretty annoying repairing this.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

It is suggested do not try to remove the switches as a whole. This would easily damage the PCB. Break the switches and remove pins one by one.