I love this thing!! I have two and need two more!

jye1

Re: I love this thing!! I have two and need two more!

Post by jye1 »

For CW and SWEEP mode duty cycle of square wave can be set to value 1% - 100%. This actually sets pulse width. Is this useful to you?
DSC

Post by DSC »

Actually no. In the musical community, you like to have the option for a square wave or pulse width wave. I understand you can make a square wave into a pulse width wave, but in practicality of use you want the square to be a square when you want it. It would be nice to have another mode specifically for the pulse width wave, so you would switch back and forth creating harmonics.

Can I please get an answer on the voltage control of the oscillator?
jye1

Post by jye1 »

For the pulse width wave do you need pulse width be changeable during playing?

There are two difficulties to implement VCO. The first is slow response time and interruption of output. Voltage is detected by U5. U5 then sends commands to U6 to change frequency. This process takes 100 - 200 ms. In this duration output will be stopped (phase will continue though). The another difficulty is there is no enough space for codes. U5 need to upgrade to MCU with larger flash space.
DSC

Post by DSC »

I don't mind the time lag. Would you have enough space if you removed mode 3 & 4?
DSC

Post by DSC »

jye1 wrote:For the pulse width wave do you need pulse width be changeable during playing?
Is this possible?
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Space won't be a problem if mode 3 & 4 are removed.

It is possible to make pulse width be adjusted by another voltage source (a pot for example). There are two voltage control inputs available. Again there will be the same time lag as frequency change.
DSC

Post by DSC »

jye1 wrote:Space won't be a problem if mode 3 & 4 are removed.

It is possible to make pulse width be adjusted by another voltage source (a pot for example). There are two voltage control inputs available. Again there will be the same time lag as frequency change.
This would be awesome. If we could have it voltage controlled by an external voltage source of 0-5V (Eurorack module standard) that would be perfect. 8-)
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Okay, we'll think about to implement these features in special version firmware. But it won't be very soon since it is not a small change.
DSC

Post by DSC »

I understand, please contact me directly if you need help testing them. I could sell at least 10 units right away if that helps at all.
Thank you again for any help. I have plans to release a couple of products using your FG085. Also, if you run out of time, I would be happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement and could have a chance to program them myself with a chance to see the source code.
Thank you again for any consideration.
DSC

Post by DSC »

I'm getting ready to release my second Version of the FunCGene. You mentioned above that U5 detects voltages to send commands to U6.
Can you tell me what pins on the U5 header I can connect a voltage to and try this out?
Hope you have not forgot about this possibility :)