Issue different than other ones. V/DIV and ADJ problem

dedal100

Issue different than other ones. V/DIV and ADJ problem

Post by dedal100 »

Hi All,

I checked out the forum and didn't found any issue similar to one I've got.

1. During assembly, my DSO Shell failed while testing the tact switches functionallity, after removing R30 resistor.
It was the last part of step 1.
When I powered it up, and tested tact switches, it comed out that all buttons seems to work fine, but when I pushed V/DIV button, blue rectangular frame indicator didn't go to the voltage level selection- instead of that I received information: "Sending data...".

Although, I proceed with analog board assembly, and when finished, I checked voltage values, and it was pretty the same as expected on manual.

After that I was going to adjust C3 and C5, but I wasn't able to do so. To bring up the test signal, I needed to hold down the ADJ button, but it also wasn't working properly- when I holded ADJ button, I got the same: "Sending data..." message.

I started to check all over again.
Checked if I soldered all parts correctly -ok
Checked if encoder board isn't mounted upside down -ok
Measured if J2 pins aren't shorted to GND -ok
Checked functionallity of rotary encoder with simple multimeter -ok

So I figured out that all seems to be ok, tact switches and ADJ button works fine, but DSO isn't read those two buttons as it should.

In this case I started with default restore - holded down SEC/DIV and TRIGGER - it didn't help at all.
Then I thought that it might be firmware bug or sth - so I changed firmware from 120 to 113 - it also didn't help.
So the last idea was - maybe I need to enter the activation code ??? I got one from JYEtec, but I can not enter the activation menu because ADJ button istn't working properly ;)

Now I'm confused and don't know what to do next.
Any ideas?
Attached is the screenshot with message, which comes out always when I hit V/DIV or ADJ button. Also I attached booting screenshot and main board with sticker and numbers.
I almost forgot to add that rotary encoder isn't working at all - I can not change SEC/DIV or TRIGGER, etc.

Regards
Attachments
Booting.jpg
Board.jpg
Sending data.jpg
Last edited by dedal100 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dedal100

Re: Issue different than other ones. V/DIV and ADJ problem

Post by dedal100 »

Little update...

I checked if uploading firmware 064 will change something.
With 064 firmware, there are some changes:
1. Rotary encoder started to do sth - it isn't working as it should, but when You are patient enough, You can find proper turn speed and spot that from time to time, You can change some value with it.
2. Just after booting, blue rectangular indicator stands right on the voltage value, but once You will chage Your selection (e.g. by changing to SEC/DIV) it is impossible to go back on V/DIV - like the V/DIV button isnt working at all.
3. ADJ "button" is working - when I hit it, it went to "fast forward" mode

After that, I tried with 110 firmware:
1. Rotary encoder is not doing anything
2. After booting, blue rectangular indicator stands on the time base selection, and it isn't possible to move it to the voltage/div - when You hit V/DIV button, "Sending data..." will appear (exactly the same as it was with earlier firmwares).
3. ADJ button isn't working properly - when You hit it, "Sending data..." will appear.

No matter what firmawre I uploaded to DSO Shell - it is not possible to enter the activation menu.
No matter what firmware I uploaded to DSO Shell - it is not possible to bring up the test signal (by holding the ADJ).

I don't know if it can help to find a solution with my DSO Shel, but if enyone have any idea what to do/check - please let me know :)

Regards
Opsimath

Re: Issue different than other ones. V/DIV and ADJ problem

Post by Opsimath »

Re: the encoder not working, I had the same problem. It was a bad ground. There is no ground pin on J2. Unless I missed something the design relies on a mechanical contact between the encoder casing and the main board, which was not secure enough in my unit. I soldered a jumper wire between the encoder daughter board ground pad and the ground pad on the mainboard which the encoder would originally have been soldered to. The encoder works like a champ now.

I'm afraid I have no suggestions on the failing buttons.