Activation code required?

mrngprsn

Activation code required?

Post by mrngprsn »

Do new "retail" purchases also require activation code? I purchased one recently from Amazon and have assembled it, but am experiencing odd behavior even though it appears to me that the soldering is OK. I'm attaching a picture of the main board with sticker.
Attachments
IMG_0617.JPG
jye1

Re: Activation code required?

Post by jye1 »

It depends on which version firmware was installed. If firmware earlier than -100 was installed and you want upgrade it to any version greater than -100 activation is required. If you don't upgrade it can run fine.

For your board can you describe what was the issue? By the way, some joints of the board do not look very good. It is suggested to resolder them with a little more solder. When doing soldering let iron stay on joints a little longer to make sure solder is fully melt and liquid.
mrngprsn

Re: Activation code required?

Post by mrngprsn »

I think I've narrowed it down to where the rotary encoder is soldered to the main board, but nothing I do seems to work. I don't know if I've burnt the board or made a mess of the jumper, but I can't seem to get a clean solder on those 4 pins. The solder melts, but then either clings to the iron tip or turns into a blob that climbs the pin and seems repelled by the board. :|