Draft User Manual for DSO150

DanielF

Re: Draft User Manual for DSO150

Post by DanielF »

alphaseek,

Yes, it's probably worth mentioning the plentiful fakes, and including a link to the forum's 'How to tell...' page.

I can understand your caution with 'shortened' URLs, since you don't know where it's going to lead you. On the other hand, excessively long URLs (multiple lines) really look untidy in a professional document. I'll revisit this issue when I update to draft 0.2, also taking into account Rob's comment about them not being permanent.

The intention of my manual is to be a more comprehensive 'User Manual' for the DSO150, not an 'Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask' thing. So I didn't want to delve deeply into the battery issue, since this is not 'core' DSO150. But I can certainly include some URLs to forum posts about different methods people have used, including (ultimately, when I finish it and post details + video) my own approach. And definitely worth mentioning the switch issue for those who might be interested in a battery mod that requires it. Of course, they'd want to test that everything else is working before removing the shorting link and hacking tracks, otherwise they might end up with a non-working unit and not know why.

Rob,

I'll definitely mention the code entry in draft 0.2.

And I don't think I said mine is the only or 'best' battery mod, I just implied that it was simpler than most others as it requires no internal modifications. Anyway, others can judge that when I post details and video.

Your use of Bluetooth as well as USB interface is interesting.

And your mention of jumpers in relation to programming reminded me: I must ask JYE Tech why they make it so difficult to update the firmware. Other than the very first time (i.e. in the factory), links are not necessary for programming the MCU. A routine in the firmware could be made (e.g. with some combination of multiple button-presses) to simply jump to the bootloader routine stored in System memory. Of course they need to jumper some pins to do the very first firmware load, but they could do that with a bed-of-nails jig without needing to solder anything. And thereafter the bootloader jump should be accessible from within the standard firmware, without any link changes.
Regards,
Daniel
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

alphaseek wrote:Perhaps there should be a specific section on the lipo battery mod many have done, including a link to the Forum thread about that.
Searches for 'battery' and 'battery power' are both rejected on the Forum. 'Battery mod' brings up dozens of hits, but I've not got the time to follow them all. Did you have a particular thread in mind when you suggested 'the Forum thread'?

What I've added in draft 0.2 is "Search the JYE Tech forum for ‘battery mod’ for possible pages and links", but if there's a particular thread that deals comprehensively with most of the battery suggestions, I'd be happy to reference that instead.
Regards,
Daniel
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

https://www.jyetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1153

Most simple powermod and schematic for switch USB2TTL and Bluetooth (incl jumper switches
Attachments
DSO150.JPG
Last edited by RobNL on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CU, Rob
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

Yep, that's a good reference to battery options.

Now let's see if I've earned enough Brownie points to be allowed to attach draft 0.2 all by myself...
DSO150_instructions(D02).pdf
Draft 2 of unofficial DSO150 user manual
(425.32 KiB) Downloaded 907 times
Regards,
Daniel