Rotary encoder was working but now plays up

niceday

Rotary encoder was working but now plays up

Post by niceday »

I purchased two DSO150 kits from Banggood. From what I can see on the forums they are genuine units, as shown in the attached photos.
BoardIDcrop2.jpg
ScreenshotCrop2.jpg
They both arrived with firmware version 113-15001-111 and no upgrade attempts have been made on either.

The first unit was working correctly, but after I saved a waveform to checkout how that part of the unit worked, the ADJ rotary encoder started to play up.

Clicking ADJ to enter/exit fast adjustment mode still works correctly and holding it down brings up the test signal amplitude display correctly.

When used on the Trigger menu, ADJ rotation works correctly, selecting between AUTO, NORM and SING. It also rotates correctly between the rising and falling trigger menu options.

However, if I try to use the rotary encoder to adjust V/Div or Sec/Div, it no longer responds correctly as it used to.

Sometimes it will show a change by jumping to a value such as 20V if I rotate it quickly, but then you can only go down. Also, adjusting the vertical position indicators will only adjust up. As such, the unit has now been rendered useless.

I have checked the boards and all the soldering looks good.
Testing the voltages as shown in the user manual shows correct values everywhere.
Doing a factory default does not clear the issue.
I even unsoldered the rotary encoder board, checked it and resoldered it, but nothing fixes the issue. Everything else works as it always did.

Checking the forum posts, the issues I am suffering seem to indicate an activation code issue, even though the unit has never asked me for a code.

Could you please advise how I can obtain an activation code for the unit and how I would apply it, as I don’t think I actually have a hardware issue at all.

I have now built the second unit and it is currently working correctly, but I worry that it will also stop working soon.

Please let me know what I need to do next to try to get the DSO150 to work again.
jye1

Re: Rotary encoder was working but now plays up

Post by jye1 »

An activation code has sent to you by email. Please check your mail box.
niceday

Post by niceday »

I found the email address to request an activation code in the forum posts, and quickly received the code from JYE.

Entering the activation code instantly fixed the issue and all now looks to be working properly.

So although the unit came already loaded with F/W revision 111 rather than being updated to it, it did require an activation code to rectify the problem.

Thanks to JYEtech for their prompt assistance.
Bas

Post by Bas »

I also had this encoder problem, and have spent many hours searching, puzzling, desoldering, and resoldering the encoder.
Until I found this post. Aha!

I contacted JYE Tech, and explained the situation. The replied my email almost immedately, and gave me a code.
Entering the activation code fixed the issue.

Thank you JYEtech for your immediate support!
DanilinSA

Post by DanilinSA »

Can you help with the activation code?
I wrote to the jyetech@gmail.com, but they did not answer me.
PID: 2up4AuHV
Sorry for bad english. I use Google translator.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Your mail have been sent to a wrong address. The correct address is jyetek@gmail.com.

The code you provide could not been found. Can you double check or send a photo?
DanilinSA

Post by DanilinSA »

Sorry for bad english. I use Google translator.