Issues after v111 update

alphaseek

Issues after v111 update

Post by alphaseek »

I finally got around to flashing new firmware to my Shell, going from v54 to v111 all at once. Then I did the authentication code, which seemed to go ok (would it have given me an error if it hadn't worked?). The scope worked ok before, and generally everything still seems to work ok, except for the following issues:

Connecting to the scope's test signal, the data items on the left side - Freq, Cycl, PW and Duty - only have numbers at .5V/div and lower. However, that point may be different when testing different signals.

[Edit: Still on the test signal, if I switch the probe to 10x, then I have to be at 50mV per division to get the left-side numbers.]

Again on the test signal, at 20uS and 10uS per division, the center point is "delayed" about one division. I think that's just a function of the speed limitations of the scope, but just wanted to mention it.

The rotary encoder still doesn't work well. Sometimes one detent produces no change. Sometimes a faster twist of the knob will yield two or more changes of direction. I can eventually get it where I want it, but it just doesn't respond correctly a lot of the time. That's in both normal and fast mode. I don't know if it's the encoder itself or the software, but a change of direction almost has to be the servicing routine. Do we know how that is done? Is it an interrupt on an encoder switch change, or is it polling, or what? Is the logic something participants here could contribute to? I have a virtually foolproof polling algorithm, but that won't help if it needs to be switch-based interrupts.

[Edit: No. The encoder works now - see next post.]

I never see "holdoff" on the display. What is holdoff all about?

Is it always transmitting data through the serial port? Can that be turned off?
Last edited by alphaseek on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphaseek

Re: Issues after v111 update

Post by alphaseek »

I don't have an explanation, but the encoder seems to be working ok now. I power cycled the scope about 8 times to make sure the authentication code had been entered right, and after that the encoder is now working fine. I had entered the code on the first power up after flashing. But maybe it doesn't undo the anti-piracy cripling until the 5th bootup? Well, as I said, I don't have an explanation.

I have found, however, that the scope can get hopelessly confused at times and reacts strangely to any input, and doesn't display anything useful. When that happens, I do a factory reset and it works fine again. But that never happened with v54.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

If the activation code was entered without any complaint that means it was accepted and everything should be fine. The issue of frequency data was caused by a bug which we already knew. The attachment is a version that correct the bug.

For the rotary encoder issue is it still happening after you did the factory default restore? Please notice the 4 digit code at the up-right corner of power-up screen. Was it constant every time the device boot?
113-15001-112.rar
(47.14 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Last edited by jye1 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphaseek

Post by alphaseek »

jye1 wrote:If the activation code was entered without any complaint that means it was accepted and everything should be fine. The issue of frequency data was caused by a bug which we already knew. The attachment is a version that correct the bug.

For the rotary encoder issue is it still happening after you did the factory default restore? Please notice the 4 digit code at the up-right corner of power-up screen. Was it constant every time the device boot?
Not sure what attachment you are referring to, but when I find the later version I'll flash it. Thanks very much for that.

The encoder issue now seems to be completely resolved. I'm not going to be able to tell you whether it was fixed after restoring the factory defaults, or after power cycling the scope multiple times. I believe it was the multiple power cycles that fixed it, but I just wasn't paying attention to that distinction at the time. If this is important, I could reflash v54, then reflash v111, in the hope of duplicating the encoder issue. Let me know if you want me to try that.

I believe the 4-digit code has remained constant throughout. At least it has been the same value every time I've noticed it.

On the other issue - when the scope goes completely wonky, a power cycle doesn't fix it. Restoration of factory defaults is needed to recover from that. It's hard to describe what wonky means, but it's a blank screen, or a white screen, or a wave form that's competely different from what should be shown for the test signal at the per-division settings currently in effect, or other strange behavior. I will try it determine what triggers the problem.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Sorry for missing the attachment. It has been added to the original post.