Software to capture and plot with the new firmwares

robocog

Re: New firmware and serial data capture to visualize and pl

Post by robocog »

And as long as you have gnuplot installed ( guess any version will work within reason?)
(don't think you need any other stuff - but will test the portability tomorrow XP> Win10 with and without ANY python stuff installed)
AND as long as you have the DSO hooked up on com port 2 (can be USB<> TTL - not just for bluetooth!)

I finally have it as an executable for Windows!
The executable is DSO150 v1.4 - no debug .exe
Only tested on XP and DSOshell physically hooked up com port 2
It works flawlessly this end

I guess the other stuff in the directory is needed so its not a single portable executable - but not bad for a first attempt!
(required libraries etc)

Someone please try it out and let me know if it also works for you
(of course I have all the libraries required as it was written on this PC - I need to know that if you don't have python and a gazillion libraries it will still work)

Unfortunately it has grown to a 4 meg file so too big to put here so it is on my server
Link
http://www.robocog.co.uk/electronics/ds ... OShell.zip

Regards
Rob
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

A DOS-screen flash up, but nothing happen.... sorry :cry:
CU, Rob
robocog

Post by robocog »

I will enable the debug log...then you will likely see in the log a message about "unable to open COM2"

If you open the exe in a dos box you will see the return code and it will stay at the command line rather than closing the window faster than you can read the screen :)

If you let me know which com port you need I will change it to it (unless I can get the automatically select functions working ;) )

Regards
Rob
robocog

Post by robocog »

v1.4 with debug - for com2.zip uploaded to server

http://www.robocog.co.uk/electronics/ds ... 20com2.zip

Hoping its just a com port difference
If you can hook up a usb<>ttl and let me know what com port is has settled on I can rewrite (only a 2 min job)

Regards
Rob
robocog

Post by robocog »

Just tested it on the Mrs pc (plain vanilla XP - no extra libraries or support software (whilst the cats are away the mice will play!)
She doesn't have any python or anything installed and all files are created at the end of the script
I had to re-upload the file on the server 'v1.4 with debug - for com2.zip'
(so if you downloaded it before you read this it will need re-downloading as I made a typo in the code in my haste)

If I installed gnuplot on her PC I'm confident it would have opened the graph at the end
(I may give it a try later...)

So....It works on a none library stuffed and extra bits of software requirements PC(as long as the com port the device is connected to IS on com 2)
...certainly the case for my Mrs's XP work machine
Don't fancy my chances of survival if I were to install Windows 10 on hers whilst she is away

If you want to hard code a different com port - just shout me :)

Regards
Rob
robocog

Re: Software to capture and plot with the new firmwares

Post by robocog »

Changed the title to reflect where this thread has gone
robocog

Post by robocog »

DSO150 v1.6.1.zip uploaded
http://www.robocog.co.uk/eletronics/dso ... v1.6.1.zip

Latest version tests com ports and waits till you have told it which com port you want to use
(note upper case for com port name eg COM1, COM2, hit enter after you have typed it)

It will then do its stuff - it will sit open till you hit enter so you can read what it has done
There is also a debug.txt created so you can refer back to it if needed

IF you have installed a version of gnuplot it will open the graph at the end
(it also gets saved as dso150gnuplot.plt in the directory so it can be used later- emailed printed or whatever)
Thinking about adding a timestamp to the gnuplot file so it doesn't overwrite each time you run it
(can compare plots against each other then...)

Please let me know how you get on
Regards
Rob
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

File not on server :roll:
CU, Rob
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

CU, Rob
robocog

Post by robocog »

Woo hoo!
What do you think then?
(don't forget to have the DSO Shell turned on and ready and have a captured waveform ...before you tell the application to grab the data... otherwise you get the firmware info (as you have shown) and it will likely get "stuck" waiting for the rest of the data :) )
If this happens - you can send the data from the dso shell (V/DIV button and ADJ at the same time) and it will satisfy the app- but the data will be incomplete
(just do it again but turn the scope on and have it booted and ready ....BEFORE telling it to grab data)

Does it fire up gnuplot with the graph as soon as it has done its thing?
Has it labelled the axes and title correctly?
Working as it should?
Suggestions?

Looked at the files it produces?
(they are in the same dir as the windows application -all dynamically created by the app- header.txt, all_data, gnuplot.txt and dso150gnuplot.plt)
Does it need the dso150gnuplot.plt and gnuplot.txt file to have a date and timestamp (eg 20-1-18 8-45.gnuplot.plt and gnuplot 20-1-18 8-45.txt?)
Or should they be saved in a subdirectory that is timestamped?
(otherwise each subsequent data grab will simply overwrite them)

DSO150 v1.6.1.zip is the newest (and IMHO the best one yet as you can tell it which com port and it will pause after doing its thing so you can read the output)

Regards
Rob