New v111 now in Firmwares. Another activation key?

alphaseek

New v111 now in Firmwares. Another activation key?

Post by alphaseek »

I have a suggestion for JYETech. On the website, or in a revised manual, there should be some instructions to the user about the activation key. As of now, I've only seen it mentioned in threads on this forum, which most buyers will never see. Also, it's not clear to me whether buyers of new Shells with v110 or v111 already installed will have to activate. At least one owner of such a Shell has posted here about having to activate. Was that an exception, or will that be true for everyone?

But otherwise, there's a new v111 in Firmwares on the site. Something about some devices forgetting their settings. Has anyone flashed this? Will it need a new activation key?
Arnoldus

Re: New v111 now in Firmwares. Another activation key?

Post by Arnoldus »

Hi,
I have a strange new problem with my DSO Shell running on 110, and tried the new 111 FW to see if it is a software problem.
But after flashing, the unit became weird, and the Rotary encoder did only increase the levels, and it did not solve my problem.
After I searched the forum, I read that the DSO needs an activaton key when the FW has been lower than 100.
So I send an email to JYE and got the key within 8 hours. [The key is related to the ID of the unit]
Now the DSO works again as before, but with a DC/AC problem, which I will describe in a new topic.
Last edited by Arnoldus on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

@alphaseek:

Thank you for your suggestion! A note has been added to the firmware download page. Only upgrading from version -064 or earlier to -110 (or -111) needs the activation code. Generally units with -110 (or -111) installed do not need activation. But entering the activation code won't hurt anything.

Activation only needs to be done once. Upgrade to -111 does not need to re-activate it although doing that won't hurt. When activation is entered all settings will be cleared and restored to their factory default.
MorganFlint

Post by MorganFlint »

Hi, Jye! Happy new year!

Have you considered the idea given by Zmail here, of selling the possibility to upgrade the FW to poor owners of counterfeited devices?

I have two units, one is genuine (bought it from Gearbest), and the other one (from Aliexpress seller 100 percent store) is fake, as stated here, and I'd be happy to invest the partial refund I got from the fake seller in "genuinizing" my fake one!
Ric82

Post by Ric82 »

Hello
2 DSO updated to 111 firmware with no problem, they were pre actived on last 110 firmware, so no need to reactive them ;)
rgds Eric.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

@MorganFlint:

Happy New Year. Thank you again for the idea. But we are not going to do it since "genuinizing" counterfeit doesn't look correct for us.
MorganFlint

Post by MorganFlint »

jye1 wrote:... "genuinizing" counterfeit doesn't look correct for us.
I'm sad for hearing that... as has been discussed in other threads (I think it was in DSO138's), most counterfeit's buyers are not doing it in bad faith so it's a pity they get the punishment for the counterfeiters' bad actions.

On the other hand, as Zmail said, if you ask a fair price for the update equivalent to your profit margin in a genuine one, it'd be good business for you. It would be also an honest solution for the unaware counterfeit buyer and would contribute to making your products even more popular.

And it wouldn't discourage future buyers from buying the genuine one, as even with the cheapest counterfeit sellers, the price difference with the genuine one sold at Banggood is less than $2, so if you ask, for example, $4 for the activation code, it'd still be $2 cheaper for prospective buyers to buy the genuine, rather than fake + activation code.
spark001uk

Post by spark001uk »

MorganFlint wrote:
jye1 wrote:... "genuinizing" counterfeit doesn't look correct for us.
I'm sad for hearing that... as has been discussed in other threads (I think it was in DSO138's), most counterfeit's buyers are not doing it in bad faith so it's a pity they get the punishment for the counterfeiters' bad actions.

On the other hand, as Zmail said, if you ask a fair price for the update equivalent to your profit margin in a genuine one, it'd be good business for you. It would be also an honest solution for the unaware counterfeit buyer and would contribute to making your products even more popular.

And it wouldn't discourage future buyers from buying the genuine one, as even with the cheapest counterfeit sellers, the price difference with the genuine one sold at Banggood is less than $2, so if you ask, for example, $4 for the activation code, it'd still be $2 cheaper for prospective buyers to buy the genuine, rather than fake + activation code.
Don't forget, the counterfeit units might well be cheaper in other respects - an inferior PCB perhaps, which could maybe introduce noise where it's not wanted, and/or cheaper components, some of which could have a wider tolerance than is acceptable, all in order to save money... would you trust that device to give you accurate readings? For JYE to provide firmware for these could be viewed as them saying these inferior units are ok. Just something to think about. ;)