Alternative firmware to use in an analogue synth?

Cavalier

Alternative firmware to use in an analogue synth?

Post by Cavalier »

Hello,

i've just completed the kit, and it works like a charm, i'm going to use it in a synth i'm building now.
I was just wondering, if there is a way to change the firmware, with some specific functions, it would be perfect.
For example, assign modes to the buttons, first one is scope mode, another one spectrum analyzer, and a frequency counter, or even a tuner would be awesome too.

I guess, with some extra hardware (inputs for 5-10V gate signals, DAC for an output control voltage, and a 12V power supply) could be even better, if we don't need the scope, it could be a dual LFO too.
MorganFlint

Re: Alternative firmware to use in an analogue synth?

Post by MorganFlint »

Of course, the firmware could be modified; as the source code and libraries are available, and some have done it already. There's also an open source firmware for the scope, not based on Jyetech's libraries, which could also be the base for your needs (for example, they've added support for a second channel).

Maybe for an embedded application as the one you're suggesting, the DSO138 mini could be a better option, specifically if there's not too much space in the synth's case or you prefer fewer controls in the interface (the coupling and scaling controls wouldn't probably be needed in your application). Its FW source code is also available and there's also an open source version with two channel capabilities).

The only "problem" for all this is the needed expertise to make such mods (which, unfortunately, I don't have :oops:)
MorganFlint

Post by MorganFlint »

Just found this thread where somebody shows how he integrated a DSO 138 in a synthesizer (look for a post by sduck about the middle of the page).
MorganFlint

Post by MorganFlint »

MorganFlint wrote:... Its FW source code is also available and there's also an open source version with two channel capabilities)...
Just to state that, contrarily of what I thought then, the HW of 138 and 138 mini is quite different, so the open source FWs for 138 would need to be modified to suit 138mini (see my comments about the differences here)