DC-jack improvement tip

Tekmek

DC-jack improvement tip

Post by Tekmek »

Ever since I assembled my DSO Shell I've been having problems with the 9V DC jack. If I was to ever so slightly move the 'scope around it would turn off and restart. I tried bending the metal parts inside the jack on the PCB to no avail, so I finally gave up and ordered a new, high quality jack socket only to find out the one used in this scope was apparently proprietory as it didn't fit.
So I contacted JYE Tech and was able to order a new jack from them. Well, the same problem as before!!!

Long story made shorter: it turns out that the casing won't allow a jack plug to be fully inserted, hence the bad connection.
The solution? Very simple: just expand the existing hole in the casing so the entire DC jack plug will fit! I drilled mine to around 9mm, and a side effect of this is that the jack also sits firmly in the hole so it won't wiggle around. Now my oscilloscope is finally usable! :D

Perhaps something JYE Tech should look into for further improving the existing design....
jye1

Re: DC-jack improvement tip

Post by jye1 »

You mean the hole on the bottom plate is too small? Can you send a photo showing the issue please? Thank you.
Tekmek

Post by Tekmek »

Yes, the hole in the plastic bottom plate is too small (at least for my jack plug).
At first I had a right-angled jack socket attached to my 9V DC-adapter, so I thought that could have been the problem, but after changing the plug to a straight type and the problems continued I found out that it just didn't reach far enough into the socket, so i drilled/filed the socket bigger (9mm) and now it works fine and even holds the plug better in place.
20170921-115609_IMG_7617.jpg
20170921-115714_IMG_7619.jpg
Diabolo

Post by Diabolo »

Hello,

There are jacks with the long chrome tube, buy the one.
Your jack is the short model.

Regards.
Diabolo
Tekmek

Post by Tekmek »

Good point!
This information should be included in the user manual IMHO as it's very useful (and in fact essential in order to make the oscilloscope work)!
As there are obviously different types the manual should say how many mm the barrel should be.
Diabolo

Post by Diabolo »

Hello,

Quite agreed, JYE.tech should indicate for the long jack.

Regards.
Diabolo
MatNieuw

Post by MatNieuw »

I tested various plug lengths. 10 mm works but falls out easily. 12 mm is perfect. Longer ones also work well but stick out.
Indeed it would be nice to not just specify power plug outer and inner diameter, but also barrel length, both on line and in the next version of the user/assembly manual.
For instance 5.5 x 2.1 x 12 mm .