So DSO is black now ... => Resolved !

Ric82

So DSO is black now ... => Resolved !

Post by Ric82 »

Hello
I have two dso shell and i wanted to upgrade the firmware to 062 version yesterday

Something usual for the process , and i did it few times before.

But....
After flashing one of them, i saw boot menu and operating system on, screen too

Suddenly black screen, and no more power at all

i found a problem with jack power in fact, this one had a bad connection and this poor solder did something wrong on the components
Only power card was concerned as i was just after firmrware updating. I know that cutting power like that can do damage on the card....

i precise that firmware has been well updated, i saw it ok and screen with boot one or two times before the power cut.

I decided to change the ic U1 but nothing more...black screen

perhaps the ams1117 to test, i will do that this evening and check all around components
Diode near the jack seems good on mutlimeter
Advices are welcome

regards Eric
Last edited by Ric82 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ric82

Re: So DSO is black now ... => Resolved !

Post by Ric82 »

So this afternoon i wanted to find the failed component, and before i prefered to make another test and test continuity between the j7 and j6 connector + and -
....and i found no continuity between the 2 neg connectors !

3 times soldering the bad solder on the j7, with flux but no result at all. I think the pcb was damaged at this soldering point, cause the solder was very bad (very different from the others)

Now i remenber that the first day during assembly, i read bad voltages one time, and good a few minutes after (perhaps pcb was just in contact with this solder)

So yesterday i changed the U1 for nothing, but i kept the first one as new ! (this was a good training, but difficulties with some solder bridges on one side U1, visible on picture , not perfect at all but efficient !)

so the result, everything is good now, so if you get black screen, with new models, take a look on j7 before changing anything like me.....

just a wire between the two negatives connectors j7 and j6 to replace the internal pcb connection.... 5mn!

just for information for others, thanks to "Jan" who explain this option in another post, useful to remind me to do the test continuity.....

Best regards Eric.
018e00443e6d5555cb300e397f421730f72f247f56.jpg
01da0935e9e61250ee32910a41ebaf1247513f9d08.jpg
the soder on back of J6 negative
the soder on back of J6 negative