J7 has separated from board

Bill

J7 has separated from board

Post by Bill »

One of the connections on the J7 power connector has separated from the main board. I've remelted the solder on it several times but it will not reconnect. Consequently the board up will not power up. I've just finished all the soldering for the kit but can not test it. What should I do?
Petroid

Re: J7 has separated from board

Post by Petroid »

Please provide a photo.
jan

Post by jan »

As we don't know if you refer to the + or - , maybe this can help you

if the socket is still solid in place , you can try to wire the "loose-end" to J6 to get you going.
Ric82

Post by Ric82 »

Hello
same problem for me
you can take a look to my post thinking to J6 connectors is "the" way....

=>post "So DSO is black now ... => Resolved ! ;)
http://www.jyetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1239
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks for the suggestions. A photo won't show that anything is wrong because the connector is where it should be, just not connected through to the board.

The connection that is broken is the + connection on the side of the connector with just one connection to the board. Will a wire from that connection to the + connection at J6 still work as it did for the - connection? Will #22 gauge wire work to connect them?
Ric82

Post by Ric82 »

Hello

Yes same problem but with the positive solder (on the right of the jack for you)

No problem fot thre wire 22, you could put even less, i used wire from power supply little connector between cards.

You can do a test before for verify, with a 9v batterie and sending 9v with temporary wires in the j6, and try to boot, if you can see dso booting so that the solution for you
if you have breadbord wires you can use them for a test, take care not to shock the two contacts between them, with a paper to separate, or scotch

i put the postive on one side and the negative on the rear of the j6, to not make an accidental contact on the wires

if dso boot with 9v input from from j6, then all components are ok, so after just put a wire between J7+ and J6+, that's all.
best regards Eric. ;)
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thank you everyone who responded, your suggestions worked. I first tested that the J6 connector was good and then I glued the two plastic tabs of the J7 connector to the main board with Gorilla super glue so that connector would be solid. Then I had to solder wires for both the + and - connections from the J7 connector to the corresponding connections for the J6 connector. After that, main board powered up just fine.

Now I need to test the voltages and hope they are correct. Thanks again,

Bill