Getting a probe for the DSO Shell

Tekmek

Getting a probe for the DSO Shell

Post by Tekmek »

I've assembled my DSO Shell and have it working (still trying to learn how to use it) but wonder why it didn't come with a probe (probably to keep costs down) and what kind of probe I should buy for it?
I find the crocodile clips cumbersome for measuring different parts of a circuit, but I understand that a probe isn't as easy to figure out as a multimeter probe, but there are different types of technologies/uses (active, passive, differential, attenuation etc.).

I'm a newbie to this, so it's all gibberish and all I want is something with a sharp tip which is practical to use without costing too much.
Suggestions?
Diabolo

Re: Getting a probe for the DSO Shell

Post by Diabolo »

Hello,

A conventional 1 and 1/10 probe with BNC socket for oscilloscope is suitable. It does not cost much money.

Regards,
Diabolo
Tekmek

Post by Tekmek »

You mean a "passive" probe? I found several on eBay, with slightly different features:

1x, 10x adjustable 200MHz high impedance passive probes
60 MHz passive probes
High voltage passive probe 1:1, 10:1 60MHz

Do I need one which is adjustable, and I suppose any frequency range probe will be fine as "pro" 'scopes go higher, right?
And how about "high voltage"? Does it mean that with a suitable probe I can check the waveform of voltages higher than the 50V limit of the DSO Shell?
Last edited by Tekmek on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petroid

Post by Petroid »

200MHz probe for 200kHz oscilloscope is overkill.
100MHz or even 50MHz probe is cheaper and you would not notice a difference with DSO Shell.
Tekmek

Post by Tekmek »

Petroid wrote:200MHz probe for 200kHz oscilloscope is overkill.
100MHz or even 50MHz probe is cheaper and you would not notice a difference with DSO Shell.
Something like this then?
I can't see any mention of adjustment and high voltage though....
Petroid

Post by Petroid »

Yes. I have P6100 probe, it is rated 600Vpk @ X10 divider and have an adjustment cap in the BNC handle. I never tried to adjust it though. The DSO has its own adjustment caps which do exactly the same.
Petroid

Post by Petroid »

Tekmek wrote:And how about "high voltage"? Does it mean that with a suitable probe I can check the waveform of voltages higher than the 50V limit of the DSO Shell?
The X10 divider allows you to literally divide measured voltage by 10 effectively allowing you to measure up to 500V signal with DSO Shell.
Tekmek

Post by Tekmek »

Aha! Thanks for clearing that up.
That P6100 probe appears to be the one to go for then.