[SOLVED] Cant flash firmware

r0ck

[SOLVED] Cant flash firmware

Post by r0ck »

UPDATE: Didnt connect RX TO TX and vice versa

Hi,

I soldered a 4 row Jtag pin to the UART. Tried PL203HX, CP2102 and CP2104 Adapters. None of these work.

While the first one is unreliable and seems to be fake, the CP Adapters both say no recognized device.

Jp1 and 2 are jumped.

Whats the issue here?
Last edited by r0ck on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
qu1ck

Re: Cant flash firmware

Post by qu1ck »

I'm assuming you use windows, there are no issues with these uart to usb converters on a proper OS :P
Try just connecting your cp2102 device, without hooking it up to the scope. You should be able to see a com port appear in your device manager. If you don't see it you need to install drivers: http://www.silabs.com/products/developm ... cp-drivers
r0ck

Post by r0ck »

Yes I have Windows 7 64 bit on an older Desktop and Windows 10 in a VM in a Mac. Both give same error.

Drivers were already installed. COM Port shows up.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Please make sure the signal connections are correct. TX on the scope should be connected to RX on a converter, and vice verse.
r0ck

Post by r0ck »

jye1 wrote:Please make sure the signal connections are correct. TX on the scope should be connected to RX on a converter, and vice verse.

Oh my god. Thanks . I was so dumb. That solved the problem.

Didn't flash yet. Hope everything goes fine. At least I am seeing that the device is recognized now.

I am using the CP2104 . My CP2102 should work too. Have tried the PL2303 which still doesnt work. So guys, DO NOT BUY the PL2303 Adpaters from the Internet. Always go for the CP2102 that the JYETech flasher also uses. The CH340 seems also better than the PL2303 , but just go with the CP2102 and you are safe!
qu1ck

Re: [SOLVED] Cant flash firmware

Post by qu1ck »

I used FTDI FT232RL based adapter which also worked just fine.
Tugo

Post by Tugo »

I tried with FTDI FT232RL but I had no luck.
Adapter was seen in windows (and in aplication), but it didn't detect the the DSO Shell board.
I did connect Rx-->Tx and Tx-->Rx but without luck.
If you have any pointer, please feel free to share them :-)

Thank you.

Best regards,
Tomaz
qu1ck

Post by qu1ck »

You probably didn't put the scope in bootloader mode.
Make sure that you have good solder joins on the jumpers, when you turn it on the screen should be just blank white.
Also don't connect the power, only gnd, tx and rx. I powered the scope on it's own.

The ftdi board I used was this one, it has 3.3v and 5v logic levels switch. Use 3.3v obviously.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-FT232RL-US ... Sw-0xYVDs3
Tugo

Post by Tugo »

Thank you for your reply!

I did put it in bootloader mode (I soldered 2 jumpers together as it was in description) and screen was white.
Only 3 pins were used as you described.
FTDI board that was used was this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172447812715?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
And as I already explained everything was ok to the point where "Flash loader Demonstrator" didn't see the DSO shell board (it saw COM port!).

Now I ordered this converter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182329358022?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I hope it will go as it was planned :-)

I read that not all FTDI boards should work.

Perhaps you have any other solution?

Best regards,
Tomaz
qu1ck

Post by qu1ck »

Well, yeah, there was this whole FTDIgate thing when ftdi released an updated driver which would brick counterfeit chips. I don't know if this was ever resolved, maybe your chip had that sad fate and is useless now.
cp2102 series have no such issues, although sadly only support 3.3v ttl levels.

Did you put the jumper on your board to 3.3v?
Can you check with any other device if the uart is working? Are the leds on the board blinking at least?