Li-ion power mod

MorganFlint

Re: Li-ion power mod

Post by MorganFlint »

vcpinto wrote:Hi,

How do you know when the battery is low?
Has anyone made a circuit to show the battery level?
A hardware approach would be to include a specific module (like this one for example), provided there's space for it in the increasingly crowded case (after including also the modules for battery charging, step up converter, serial to USB...).

Possibly, the most elegant way to do it would be a firmware mod to use one of the free AD converters in the MCU to read battery voltage and show a battery level icon on the screen... maybe Jyetech could have this into account for the next FW release; it'd still be better if he included the battery charging and boost circuitry in a future new HW revision! (or, for the cost concerned, include in the PCB the circuitry for battery support and leave it as an option, where you could buy the kit with or without the extra needed components).
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

Regards, Rob
CU, Rob
robocog

Post by robocog »

Just bought another so I can put an internal lipo in it for ultimate portability
(didn't fancy my chances of removing the old rotary switch without problems)

The kit arrived - but still awaiting the buck boost and charger board
I also ordered a cp2102 board so hopefully the same usb port can flash the firmware and download data... as well as charge it

Not sure what I will do about jumpering jp1 and jp2 internally - was thinking I may have room for a small dual dip switch somewhere, but then again firmware updates are not so frequent that it is a major hassle to open it up each time - so maybe overkill?

I already have some lipo charging boards - but they are the type without protection (though the ones with protection seem a little "loose" to be relied upon, but better than nothing... maybe?)

Can't thank you enough for sharing these ideas and documenting it so well that someone like myself (that still needs a well written recipe to follow) can achieve this without a massive learning curve

Regards
Rob
alphaseek

Post by alphaseek »

robocog wrote:I also ordered a cp2102 board so hopefully the same usb port can flash the firmware and download data... as well as charge it

Not sure what I will do about jumpering jp1 and jp2 internally - was thinking I may have room for a small dual dip switch somewhere, but then again firmware updates are not so frequent that it is a major hassle to open it up each time - so maybe overkill?
If you ordered one of the CP2102 modules with the micro-USB socket, be sure you check the voltage at the 3.3V, DTR and TXD outputs before you install it. Some modules are around 4.3V on those outputs, which is not what you want.

The pic below shows what I did with JP1 and JP2. I took over the SWD block, cut the traces going to the middle holes, and connected JP1 and JP2 to them instead. The right-angle pin headers are accessed through yet another hole in the case.
Attachments
Headers - UART_JP2_JP1.jpg
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

DSO150 with charger, USB-board and jumpers.

CU, Rob
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

I change the low battery monitor a little, why do we need the green LED if the display is on ?
Only a red LED when the battery is low is a better idea.

Schematic - Image Image

Video - http://www.bucket.gompy.net/3V6%20Li-Io ... itor_1.mp4
Last edited by RobNL on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CU, Rob
Mathieu

Post by Mathieu »

Is that a 3 volt zener? I only have 3,3 volt copies
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

CU, Rob
Mathieu

Post by Mathieu »

Tnx Rob. I used a 3,3 zener, but the circuit doesn't work. The led should go on under 3,9 volt, but it does not at all.
I double checked the circuit, but cannot find the failure...
IMG_1755.JPG
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

Sorry, wrong schematic upload......shame on me :(

The previous post has been update with the right schematic.
CU, Rob