Li-ion power mod

JOHNBULLIE

Re: Li-ion power mod

Post by JOHNBULLIE »

robocog wrote:
Looks very nice as a CAD drawing
Do you have any real photo's of it?
(could be neat for the other one I have - plenty of room for bluetooth /cp2102 / battery /charger / boost board and switches for firmware flash !)

Do you offer a choice of colours?

Regards
Rob
Hi Robocog,
these are the photos of the shell I ordered.
For the color you must contact the designer.
The assembly was very simple and immediate following the instructions provided.
The quality of the shell is excellent even if the traditional 3D FDM print texture is visible.

comparison of the shell

assembly view

switch for step up

battery recharge

full charge

working oscilloscope
alphaseek

Post by alphaseek »

upsss wrote:To reduce the drain on the battery in the Off position <20uA, I split the charging/protection circuit from the step up converter so the On/Off switch can turn off the power to it. This step up converter is very tiny and it fits in the original external power jack location which I didn't need anymore. What so special about this converter is that it includes an extra LC filter on the output which provides a very low noise output.
The boost converter upsss used shows as No Longer Available on aliexpress. This one has two inductors - one for the boost and one to further smooth the output. Does anyone know of another source, or another module with that feature?
upsss

Post by upsss »

alphaseek wrote:
upsss wrote:To reduce the drain on the battery in the Off position <20uA, I split the charging/protection circuit from the step up converter so the On/Off switch can turn off the power to it. This step up converter is very tiny and it fits in the original external power jack location which I didn't need anymore. What so special about this converter is that it includes an extra LC filter on the output which provides a very low noise output.
The boost converter upsss used shows as No Longer Available on aliexpress. This one has two inductors - one for the boost and one to further smooth the output. Does anyone know of another source, or another module with that feature?
They are still available from several other vendors on Aliexpress, search for "Micro DC-DC Converter".
alphaseek

Post by alphaseek »

upsss wrote:They are still available from several other vendors on Aliexpress, search for "Micro DC-DC Converter".
Thanks. I'll look for it.

Edit: All the others of that style on Aliexpress are step-down coverters. And I couldn't find anything like it on Ebay. So maybe you got the last one. :-)

Can I ask about your last picture? It shows "T.S. Amp: 3.3V" at the lower left of the display. What produces that?
alphaseek

Post by alphaseek »

Those interested in doing the battery mod should consider which analog board they have when ordering a battery. I've ordered the BH6X 1800 mah battery that upsss used, but should have been more careful comparing my scope to his picture. He has the new "E" analog board, but I have the older "C" board, which exends about 0.6 cm further than his. I have 3.5 cm of room for the battery, but the battery is 4.1 cm. When it arrives, I'll have to see if I can still make it fit with some creative carving of the side support tabs, and will report on that with pictures, but it would have been better if I had just measured my scope in the first place instead of assuming the analog boards were all the same size.
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

All in one, USB2TTL, Bluetooth, Stepup, Batterie, lowpower and two buttons to switch jumpers and choose USB2TTL of Bluetooth......in a normal shellbox.

CU, Rob
MorganFlint

Post by MorganFlint »

:shock:
Next thing to include: thermonuclear generator to avoid recharging batteries :lol: :lol:
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

I do not think that it no longer fits in the housing, so I put a solar panel on the back :D
CU, Rob
alphaseek

Post by alphaseek »

I've seen mentions here that the scope can be operated during charging, but I think doing that for extended periods may not be a good idea. The TP4056 charger is supposed to shut down when the charging current reaches 1/10 of the nominal max charging current as set by the R3 resistor selection. But if the scope is on, the current will never drop that low, and the charging voltage will remain at 4.2V even after the battery is fully charged, which is not good for the battery, and may be potentially dangerous. There's an excellent video by Julian Liett on these charger modules, and at 11:07 he talks about this problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw4psECqpwI

In Toshi's zip file containing his software and hardware modifications for the DSO150, he has the battery supplying the boost converter through a schottky diode, and the 5V USB V+ also supplying the boost converter through another schottky. So when USB is plugged into the charger, the V+ 5v will be higher than 4.2V, the battery diode will be reverse biased, so only the USB V+ will be supplying the converter. That would allow charging to shut down normally. But I would rather avoid the voltage drops in the diodes, and just make it my practice to turn off the scope when USB is plugged in.
RobNL

Post by RobNL »

CU, Rob