Replacement for unreliable power socket?

Tekmek

Replacement for unreliable power socket?

Post by Tekmek »

I've just completed my DSO Shell which seems to work as expected, but I'm having trouble with the power socket (connected to a 9V power adapter). It seems to be very sensitive to movement (it's just a matter of moving the DSO shell a little bit) and I lose power and it reboots. I've resoldered its connections and it appers to be attached properly to the PCB, so I suspect it's the actual construction of these type of connectors.

What kind of power socket could I use instead, which will be pin-pin replaceable so I don't have to modify (and risk damaging) the DSO shell?
Tekmek

Re: Replacement for unreliable power socket?

Post by Tekmek »

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Did the plug have a tight contact with the socket? The inside of the socket does not have other contact points. So if soldering is good the issue can only be the contact with plug.
Tekmek

Post by Tekmek »

I desoldered the plug to check it, then soldered it back in but the problem is still there.
Next I tried to bend the GND pin of the socket (to make it fit better) but again the problem is there.

I think the main problem is that my power adapter has a right-angled plug, so that it will move all the time when I move the DSO Shell around. I'll see about changing it to a straight plug instead.
I believe using a round socket like this isn't the most reliable way to provide power. Is there a more reliable connector that can be used which has the same footprint/pinout as the existing 2.1 connector?

Until I find a solution to this I've made an adapter cable and connected it to the internal small white 2-pin power connector inside the DSO Shell. Of course I had to remove the front panel to allow the wire to pass through. But now I can actually use the oscilloscope :)
Tekmek

Post by Tekmek »

Which brand/type is the 2.1mm power socket which JYEtech have used for this oscilloscope?

I'd like to replace it with a new socket but I haven't been able to find anything with the same pinout/placement.
r0ck

Post by r0ck »

Tekmek wrote:Which brand/type is the 2.1mm power socket which JYEtech have used for this oscilloscope?

I'd like to replace it with a new socket but I haven't been able to find anything with the same pinout/placement.
Just google SMD 2.1mm power socket
Tekmek

Post by Tekmek »

I found several, but with different pin placements etc.
As far as I remember, there's 3 pins on the one in the oscilloscope (the case in mine is closed so I can't check right now), but perhaps one pin has just been cut off (I can't find any such connectors with just 3 pins).

Here's one by Cliff which should be of high quality. Will it be suitable for the DSO-shell's circuit board?
cliff_21.png