Request for software change

boo

Request for software change

Post by boo »

I find the "speed" of the rotary dial's effect on some things way too slow. For example, when adjusing the trigger position - many many turns to make a significant change to position. Is there any way we could have faster motion for this (and the trace vertical position too? and the horizontal view window too?). Something like 4x quicker would be nice - or better yet, have an accelerating speed - if you keep turning, it gets quicker. That would make a huge difference to the usage.

Another request - when you hold down OK to get the overlay text display, 3 seconds or so - well, it's a similar thing for removing it. Perhaps a bit too long for removing it, but invariably when you DO remove it, the display immediately goes into HALT and you have to press OK again. It would be better for the software to detect that it's just come out of the overlay display and wait for a release before detecting OK again as a HALT press.
jye1

Re: Request for software change

Post by jye1 »

Thank you for the suggestions. We also thought about to improve these issues but did not put it on agenda yet. Will do it later.
boo

Post by boo »

Give me access to the software/source and I'll be happy to make the changes!
I'm a software engineer 35+ years experience with embedded systems.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Thanks. Except the capture core all source codes will be made accessible to users soon including codes handling the buttons and encoder.
boo

Post by boo »

Releasing the UI software is a fantastic idea - I will try to contribute :) - thanks!

On the "capture core" side I ran into an interesting issue yesterday; have a look at these two images of the same signal
sync.jpg
sync2.jpg
The problem is the upper spikes, which are occurring at 2.5 ms intervals - clear to see when at 0.5 ms/div
When I switch to 10 ms/div so I can see the lower spike frequency, the upper spikes now "appear" to be at 10 ms intervals.
This is in fact incorrect, and there are many "missing" spikes obviously because of the sampling frequency

In other words, if there is any way to reduce this effect, it would be most useful. I was scratching my head for a while understanding the above issue.
In particular, I hope the "capture core" always runs at the highest rate possible and does some sort of averaging to grab its whole "scroll window" sample set. That would give, of course, the highest time resolution regardless of the actual s/div setting. I think your software is fantastic - I'm just sharing thoughts/issues as I learn how to use it.

A couple of suggestions:
when the left "level" arrow or the right "trigger point" arrow are off-screen limits rather than just stopping the arrow, perhaps change to an up or down-arrow? Or put some marker above or below to indicate offscreen. Sometimes they're WAY offscreen - it would be nice to have a button press/combination that allows me to return them to default midscreen position. Personally I think the rotary dial press is wasted just being used for the calibration setting and I'd put that on some weirdo key combination and use the dial press for other stuff. For example, V/DIV and SEC/DIV pressed together make no sense, so use those as a calibration mode/trigger and free up the rotary button. Just my 2c.

Keep up the good work!
boo

Post by boo »

Regarding my last request/question for the sampling frequency - one solution would be to allow the user to narrow the "scroll window" buffer and instead increase the sampling frequency in the visible window. Assume 1024 samples over (say) four view window widths - if I was solely interested in the visible view window, that could be sampled at 4x the frequency for the same buffer size. You'd lose your ability to scroll far left/right but I don't need/use that a lot anyway.