White screen only

dawiddoruch

White screen only

Post by dawiddoruch »

The kit was working perfect for a week and then after turning it on the other day the screen was white and I can't get it to work anymore.

Does anyone have any idea if that could be fixed, how I can check what's wrong? What I did, I checked voltages according to the assembly manual and everything is fine here. The red led on the back of the digital board flashed few time after turning it on so my guess is that it is only the display that doesn't work...
jye1

Re: White screen only

Post by jye1 »

Did the LED on board blink when power was turned on? If it did this could be a connection problem between LCD and MCU. Please check the FPC soldering of LCD.
swed

Post by swed »

What does the led show? On my not working shell, it blink on power up and sometimes with signal on probe.
dawiddoruch

Post by dawiddoruch »

It is strange but I get it out of the box to check if "it fixed itself" and to my surprise it did turn on! But after turning it off and on again... WHITE screen. So I left it aside and checked again today and it turned on again. This time I was able to switch it on/off few times and it turned on every time. However the screen had some kind of artifacts for few seconds after turning it on for the first time yesterday and the first time today - after the 2nd and 3rd boot everything was all right. I did not measure anything after 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot up and it was turning on flawlessly! So that brought my attention - would it behave different if I measure any signal, turn it off and on again? So I did. I measured my RC Rx output signal, switched off the Oscilloscope and turned it on and BANG - there it is, WHITE screen.

So something is wrong and I do not think it is bad connection between board and display. If it is turning on properly after not using it for like 15 minutes.

I give up and now I think I should have spend more money on something better (like OWON VDS1022I) in the first place - we have that saying "You buy cheap, you buy twice". At this point the DSO Shell is pretty much useless and definitely not a reliable device.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

@ dawiddoruch:

Can I ask what power supply did you use?

@ swed:

The LED blinks twice at boot up if the booting process is smooth. At running it blinks when trigger edges are detected.
dawiddoruch

Post by dawiddoruch »

I'm using 12V / 2A power supply (saved from an TP-LINK WiFi router) and have DC-DC bulk converter soldered before output plug and adjusted to exactly 9V (measured with OWON D35T). The bulk converter can output 2A continuously and 3A peak.
swed

Post by swed »

Ripple? any filter?
JerryS

Post by JerryS »

I found the DC power socket had a bad joint on mine which caused it to white screen. The socket is a smd which cant be that strong. I soldered it up more securely and that sorted it.

I also have a strong hunch that backing up the firmware in the SMT32 "Flash Loader Demonstrator" software ("upload from device" option) can cause a white screen. Reflashing fixed that for me.