Trigger problems, noise floor and other infos

Jackie

Trigger problems, noise floor and other infos

Post by Jackie »

Hello there!
I purchased and successfully assembled the 138 kit (no smd soldered).
It's very fun to use and has been much more useful so far than the usual multimeter (as a voltmeter of course)

By the way, i hope i didn't purchase a counterfeit kit, as the solder pads don't seem to be as indicated in the comparison image, but
- Silkscreen was perfect
- Nice smooth edges on the board
- Documentation was printed with good quality paper/definition
- Software version is the latest -050 (where the latest publicly available is -040)

However, i'm having a little problem with the trigger: it doesn't trigger, at all. sometimes with certain frequencies in certain timebases i have a kind of still image but it's still not the correct behaviour.
I've already located the circuit part on the schematic but i don't know exactly what voltages i should expect. can i have some pointers there?

Issue number two (but maybe it's not an issue): as noticed by other users in another topic, there seem to be some moving noise floor, like a periodic waveform... a stepped ramp. since it's not depending on sensitivity i assume it's an "error" or something generated by the ADC or even inside the code. is there a way to reduce/remove it?

Then to the infos: There are three serial ports. the SWD, to reprogram the chip a USB and the UART. i was wondering, what's the point of those?

Thank you, and thank you for the amazing project :)
Jackie

Re: Trigger problems, noise floor and other infos

Post by Jackie »

*SOLVED TRIGGER PROBLEM*
As i suspected, it was a badly soldered capacitor. infact the pwm filtering cap was not soldered at all, thus the continuous stream of trigger pulses.

The noise floor seems to have reduced as well BUT now i get incorrect readings from the analyzer at lower sensitivities. for example, a 5V source gets a 4.63 average at 1V, 4,83 at 100mV and finally 5V at 10 mV. I would get the same 5V for all the three ranges before.