DSO138 firmwareupdate

dulouie

DSO138 firmwareupdate

Post by dulouie »

Hello,
how can i update the firmware of the DSO138 oscillosope?
i have tried it with the STM32 Flash Loader Demonstrator and a UART-to-USB adapter cable but it dosen't worked for me.
With a terminal emulation application like Putty i have figured out, that the baudrate of UART is 38400.
When the scope boots up, it tells me via UART "Uart1 Ok" but the STM32 Flash Loader application expect a "0x79" command to flash the firmware.
Is there any special key combination to boot into flashing mode?

By the way the DSO138 is really great to build and use for electronics students with a small budget.

EDIT:
Okay i had success:)
Short jumper J1 and J2 with solder and the STM32 run into built-in bootloader.
Follow the instruction on this site: http://www.scienceprog.com/flashing-pro ... ootloader/
with baudrate: 115200
jye1

Re: DSO138 firmwareupdate

Post by jye1 »

Sorry, we didn't time have to make the English version document for the firmware upgrade of DSO138 yet. The Chinese version is available here in case someone can read: http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScop ... are_cn.pdf

The new version firmware has just been released which added number read-outs for various waveform parameters including frequency, cycle, pulse width, duty cycle, Vmax, Vmin, Vaverage, Vpp, and Vrms. RMS read-out represents true RMS and is waveform independent.
Last edited by jye1 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albenbrewder

Post by albenbrewder »

I have successfully completed the DSO138 kit and can view waveforms....

I did have some initial start up problems and eventually decided to re-flash the program. I followed the outline as stated in this link (http://www.scienceprog.com/flashing-pro ... ootloader/), and successfully flashed the newest hex file (113-13801-040). The scope worked but the signal was erratic. So I re-flashed using the stock hex file (113-13801-036). Everything now worked fine.

Because of the features of the -040 hex file, I decided to try re-flashing it again. I again shorted JP-1 and JP-2, used a USB to UART adapter and ran the Flash_Loader_Demo as I had done before. But this time, I began to get an error:

" No response from the target, the Boot loader can not be started, please verify the boot mode configuration and the flash protection status, Reset your device then try again…”

I believe the problem might be caused by a boot loader "protection" flag being accidentally "set" in the previous download. My USB /Uart is set to 5v... Is this a problem? Any suggestions?

Also there are some other questions regarding documentation.. What is the function of JP-6? I can't find it on the schematic.

One last thing... Switch SEN2 has an X5 position. It is obviously functioning by noting wave shape amplitude changes. However the display does not show the change in the number at the bottom of the screen. Since its a 2PDT switch, one of the poles may be faulty. As a second possibility, there is a software "bug". Again, Suggestions?
jye1

Post by jye1 »

For the "No response" problem I guess it is more likely a connection issue. The "protection" flag is for flash while bootloader is a separated piece of firmware which resides in a different memory. 5V USB/Uart shouldn't be a problem for DSO138 since there are protective resistors in place.

JP5 and JP6 are provisions for some different LCD modules. They can be found at the schematic close to LCD connector J3.

For the SEN2 indication issue please check R23, R24, and R25 for their soldering and values. These resistors and SW3B are for switch position detection. It looks something wrong with these parts.
albenbrewder

Post by albenbrewder »

Success!
Thank you!
Problem with SEN2 was traced to resistor R23 not being soldered correctly to one end... (Thank you for including a spare. The original SMT resistor is now located somewhere within my carpet).
Problem with flash programming was with a poor crimp connection on one of the UART connectors (as you suspected.)
(For reference I used the Flash_Loader_Demo program ; 9600 Baud, no parity, no echo and the proper com port.}
My DSO 138 is now up and running with the features of the -040 update.
Very nice!
Signal traces do appear more "noisey", relative to the stock -036 software, but well within reason for what this device was intended for.
I look forward to the next update features....
Trigger slope? (Ooops.. There already is a trigger slope switch.. :oops: amazing!)
Incorporation of the FFT library?
2nd channel input?
(asking too much :) ?
Again thanks for the assistance.
albenbrewder

Post by albenbrewder »

I find that there is a new firmware version for the DSO 138. (-050)
I also see that I apparently, cannot receive it because of "imitation" problems...
I have a "legal" kit and would like to keep it updated.
I do not believe I do not believe I should be penalized.
May I receive an update?
Thank you
rddube

Post by rddube »

albenbrewder wrote:I find that there is a new firmware version for the DSO 138. (-050)
I also see that I apparently, cannot receive it because of "imitation" problems...
I have a "legal" kit and would like to keep it updated.
I do not believe I do not believe I should be penalized.
May I receive an update?
Thank you
I totally agree...my kit is also genuine and it says revision 3 with 046 firmware. I have just bought it and built it within the last few days and there is a lot of noise in the signal.

Why can't we be given a copy of the new firmware? Please respond JYE1!
jye1

Post by jye1 »

We are very sorry guys. This was not what we intended to do but forced to. You probably see that the counterfeit DSO138 kits flooded eBay, Amazon, AliExpress and some big independent sellers like DX and Gearbest. We are left no choice but holding the firmware in order to keep a little advantage over the fakes. The major drawback of old version was larger noises. For most users it might not be a problem. But if you really concern about it and don't want to purchase a new kit you can try the mod state in this post http://www.jyetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=518. The result is very similar to boards with the new firmware.
rddube

Post by rddube »

jye1 wrote:We are very sorry guys. This was not what we intended to do but forced to. You probably see that the counterfeit DSO138 kits flooded eBay, Amazon, AliExpress and some big independent sellers like DX and Gearbest. We are left no choice but holding the firmware in order to keep a little advantage over the fakes. The major drawback of old version was larger noises. For most users it might not be a problem. But if you really concern about it and don't want to purchase a new kit you can try the mod state in this post http://www.jyetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=518. The result is very similar to boards with the new firmware.
But JYE1 the problem is not just the noise but also the fact that this unit does not store its settings...which is a rather incredible bug to have in 2015! So, why not give us a firmware 046 with corrected bug and we'll do the noise mod, or sell us the STM32 with the new firmware (I can get a 150 ohm resistor easily) but for a reasonable price. I don't need a whole kit just the firmware.

I don't know if you realize what you are doing by doing what you are doing, but you are drawing real good genuine customers away from your product line. Would you buy a product from a company that doesn't provide free support? I don't want to copy your firmware, I just want it without bugs on a genuine DSO138. If not, well then you can kiss this customer goodbye for ever and I'm sure many others that feel the way I do - I feel that I've been had and don't like that feeling and am not going to buy anything from any company in the world that does that. Sorry!
albenbrewder

Post by albenbrewder »

OK,
I have read the link that states you will sell an updated board for $18 with the -50 software...

Does the board have all components mounted, the SMD's mounted, or nothing mounted?
If only the SMD's are installed, and remaining parts are supplied (so I can enjoy re-soldering the board...), May I make a suggestion...?

For the push button switches... furnish the long push button version.
As for the slide switches... change to three long shaft rotary switches..
This would allow mounting the DSO 138 in a flat top case.

A little foresight can make this a great product.

And I still feel it unfair to penalize me for someone else's problem... Obviously there was a large profit margin which prompted others to imitate the device.
Generally, if a manufacturer offers a product at a reasonable price with a reasonable profit, it is uneconomical for competitors to step in. Business 101.