Triggering at 50ms per division and below

gyro

Re: Triggering at 50ms per division and below

Post by gyro »

Thanks MNTech, glad it helped.

I hadn't checked - using the same filename is a problem, I hope JYE are keeping track their changes properly.

Nice tip on the mosfet.

I'll be interested to see what issues you find that I have missed, it's nice to have some company!
MNTech

Post by MNTech »

I haven't seen any new problems with the version of the latest -065 firmware. The auto-centered positions still don't store over a reset but that's minor.

I would like to suggest adding a roll mode for the slower sweep speeds. It would get around the long holdoff problem.

Roll mode:
The latest data point acquired would be written to the middle of the display. Old data would move to the left as time progresses. Also it will be written into the middle of the storage buffer and shifted to an earlier position with time. When a trigger occurs or the OK button (Hold) is pressed the old data would freeze and new data would be written to the right filling the screen and eventually the buffer.

If the trigger or Hold occurs before the first half of the buffer is filled then less pre-trigger data will be available.

In roll mode the display bar of the horizontal position could be automatically centered so equal time before and after the trigger would be available.
Alternately allowing manual positioning of the bar could determine how the buffer time would be divided between pre and post trigger.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

@MNTech:

Thank you for pointing out the bugs. Thank you for the suggestions too. We'll try to implement them.
dso138user

Post by dso138user »

Hi,
gyro wrote:Thank you for the revised version, _much_ better. I can confirm that the button crash issue and the red measurements at fast timebase are fixed.
- The trigger LED doesn't seem to be working. This might be my error because I didn't have it fitted previously but it does flash twice during startup, so I think it is correctly wired. Now the single shot triggering on slow timebases is available it becomes much more valuable (reason as above). As I said, it flashes twice during startup, but on my unit, doesn't light again at any timebase setting or trigger mode (even normal and auto).
Same here with the -065 firmware. Got my DSO138 from joy-it.net (completely assembled), but it came with a defective LED. After replacing the LED it worked fine with firmware -061, but with -065 I only see it flashing twice during startup.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Thank you for testing. Please try this new version that fixed the LED bug.
113-13801-066.rar
(41.13 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
dso138user

Post by dso138user »

jye1 wrote:Thank you for testing. Please try this new version that fixed the LED bug.
113-13801-066.rar
Slow triggering and trigger LED working + no anti-piracy screen, no obvious issues so far, thank you very much!
gyro

Post by gyro »

Thanks very much JYE.

Yes the LED and slow timebase are now working well for me too. A "Holdoff" indication (as you mentioned) would still be helpful, as it is very difficult to judge how soon triggering becomes available at the lower timebases.

By the way, I also a support MNTech's 'Roll mode' suggstion but I'm not sure of the possibility due to what you said about cutting back DSO138 support. Maybe you could do it as an experiment in implementing it for your newer products.

Thank you for sticking with us despite the pirating pain.
MNTech

Post by MNTech »

I have uploaded version -066.
I noticed that if you use auto trigger mode and position the bar in the Horizontal Position display to the far right it does act like roll mode.
Events enter on the right side of the display and move to the left. Hold will freeze the display when you see something of interest.
Earlier events are to the right and later events to the left like a normal display.
mikegleasonjr

Post by mikegleasonjr »

Hi,

Thank you for your ongoing efforts to improve the product.

I have tried firmware 113-13801-066 and I think I have found a bug. I am no EE and it is my first scope.

I think the trigger level readout (upper right corner) is wrong and too low (looks like the value is divided instead of multiplied).

When you position the trigger level indicator directly on a division, it does not equal to the sensitivity per division, it is much lower.

The trigger level indicator seems to display correctly and I think the bug only affects the readout (I think).

Thank you for removing the anti-piracy message, makes the booting much faster. There is still a jyetech.com message appearing above the UI from time to time. I would remove that too and print the website on the PCB instead.

Thanks!
daved

Post by daved »

gyro wrote: My opinion is that if nobody is prepared to try the new version with the improved trigger functionality (which several people have been asking for!), then we have no excuse to complain if there is a bug or expect a fix after it is released.
I found the document "DSO138: How to upgrade firmware" and will try it when I get a USB to TTL (3.3v) converter. Thanks. :D Is this fixed in the new DSO138 Mini? Info for the Shell DSO150 says yes for it. Good.