unit will not turn on

Anything about this unique oscilloscope DIY kit
smoth

unit will not turn on

Post by smoth »

I build the 068 kit, and it seems to be working well. The only problem is that it will not turn on! I built it with J2 shorted (on all the time). I was using usb to power it. After I installed the internal battery, I could not turn it off. After going through the instructions, I realized I had to have J2 open for the on/off function to work. Since I've had J2 open, it will not turn on; I have to manually short J2 for it to power up. In this state, it will turn off after pressing the Adj dial, but no amount of holding it down will turn it back on again.

As a temporary fix, I've soldered the leads of J2 to an external switch so I can turn the unit on and off while on battery power- this works, but I'd like it to operate as intended. I believe I have all the BOB boards installed correctly and the battery charger board is working if that's of any help.

If anyone has any suggestion on how to trouble shoot, test and repair this problem, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!
perkabrod

Re: unit will not turn on

Post by perkabrod »

Not sure if I can help but have you verified that JP4 and JP9 are both closed?
Also, I have read that some BOB boards had capacitors mistaken with resistor so maybe check forum about that.

I couldn't use the scope after I had assemble it and that was because the battery pressed against the reset switch. But it worked if I didn't close the back of the scope ("solution" was to clip of the actual plastic button) :)
jye1

Post by jye1 »

It's likely a BOB3 issue. Please contact JYE Tech for replacement if you don't see caps on the BOB3. Email: jyetech@163.com.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Perkabrod and jye1,

I will check into the bob 3 board and the jumpers and update the situation.

Many thanks for your replies!
smoth

Post by smoth »

Update:
I double checked and J4 and J9 are closed, and it also looks like there are indeed no capacitors on the bob3 board. I checked all the rectangular smt parts with a volt meter and got resistive values- plus they are all black (aren't smt capacitors usually grey or brown?). I could attempt to switch them if you could tell me which resistors to remove and the value of the caps to install. I'll also follow up with the email address.

Thanks!
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Please see the attached assembly drawing. Remove the resistors at location C1 and C2. Use 0.1uF cap for both C1 and C2. Just let us know if it still doesn't work for you. We will provide free replacement.
117_Assembly.jpg
smoth

Post by smoth »

Bad news...

I tried to replace the wrong resistors with the right caps as you suggested, but things didn't work out so well. After I was done, I tried to power it up, but nothing happened. I didn't have any SMT tools, and the caps I had were through hole, so I think things got a bit too hot. After having a closer look it seems like I accidentally lifted a pad off. I removed the bob 3 board and nothing works at all now (battery or USB). I'm afraid I'll have to take you up on that bob3 replacement. I'll email with details.

Thanks.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

We received your email and replied. Thank you.
hoss

Post by hoss »

I have the same problem, it will not turn off after installing a battery.
It does look like BOB2 has all resistors installed. Could you please send a replacement?