Measuring directly 230 volts with the x10 probe.

Anything about this unique oscilloscope DIY kit
janneaut

Measuring directly 230 volts with the x10 probe.

Post by janneaut »

Hello,
With DSO068, I would like to know if it is possible to directly measure the 230 volts by the intermediate of the x10 probe.
Thank you
0AlphaOmega

Re: Measuring directly 230 volts with the x10 probe.

Post by 0AlphaOmega »

If you have to ask the question, please don't do it! Especially with a "cheap" scope not designed to work with high voltages. Your scope will not protect you from the mains.

You should be able to pick up the local mains frequency by touching the probe tip. You should see a dirty sinusoidal waveform at 50hz and a lot of noise modulated at 50hz (assuming that you have a local 50Hz supply) The noise will be due to things like radio transmission, PC's, WiFi, Taxi radios, fluorescent lamps, motors etc.

However, if you must have "direct" contact, then use an inductive pick-up or a transformer to separate you from dangerous current (it's the volts that jolts and the millies that killies)

Be safe!
staceygeek

Post by staceygeek »

What a nonsense!!! 220v:10=22V so now, is anybody scared of 22V? I guess nobody, not even a "cheap" scope, but the author of the previous post. 220V is NOT a high voltage, stop fooling people. However, make sure your probe is set to x10 before measure the main voltage. I would say, internal battery is mandatory for such measuring, not USB nor power adapter.
staceygeek

Post by staceygeek »

And for those with trembling hands and over-sensitive bodies I recommend to purchase a probe with 1:100 divider just for some 12 EUR on Aliexpress. In this case you deal with 2,3V voltage which definitely not a high voltage at all.
staceygeek

Post by staceygeek »

Just another point to consider - look at the probe supplied with the scope, it can be used up to 600V. So now, how one can tell us not to measure live power directly? Surely when you do it, be careful not to touch exposed wires with your hands. If you do, you'll get an electric shock, but do not blame the scope for this! I hope it's crystal clear to everybody now.