DSO 068 Oscilloscope

Anything about this unique oscilloscope DIY kit
jeffgarwood

Re: DSO 068 Oscilloscope

Post by jeffgarwood »

I closed JP4 up until you had me close off the other just for troubleshooting. It did not change anything with the test results so I have waited your reply. It is closed now. Nobody ever replied about the board inserts touching. I have never had correct power from the beginning when I followed the step by step instructions. I never recieved a schematic just a two sided colored instructions.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

The documents (including schematic) are available here http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e068.php.

Now with JP4 closed do you have correct power supply voltage at the +5V test point?
jeffgarwood

Post by jeffgarwood »

as in scenario 2nI have 5V at test point 1 with or without JP4 closed but no proper voltage beyond that. The test results were: with j1 & J2 closed 5v at VBUS, 5Vdc at +5 chk left of sw12, .11vdc at Y1 pin 23, .11vdc at c 21 & C22, .54Vdc at J5 +5 test point .5vdc at LED. These have been my results since the beginning, unable to proceed with the power-up.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

It looks the power supply was open somewhere after the +5V test point. If JP4 is shorted and 5V is tested good at the check point the voltage at J5 pin 2 should be 5V. You said you got 0.54V at J5 pin2. This means J5 pin2 was not connected to the +5V power supply. You can remove power and check the resistance between J5 pin2 and the +5V check point. The reading should be close to zero.
jeffgarwood

Post by jeffgarwood »

I have proper power and backlight on screen, I can see the symbols at the bottom of the screen but I only have a black square in the middle when contrast is adjusted
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Did you mean there was no help by adjusting the contrast? What was the voltage at pin 18 of LCD module? Can you post a photo here?
slmjm65

Post by slmjm65 »

if i needed to reload firmware on to u4 how would i do that what program do i need
jye1

Post by jye1 »

The built-in bootloader can be used to reload firmware via USB. Please see documents here

http://www.jyetech.com/Products/LcdScope/e068.php
invntrr

Post by invntrr »

Your installation instructions are OK but you leave out details that you assume we know// because you know .. it turns into a nightmare of trying to discover what I missed. You make assumptions regarding the "Boot Loader" that's mentioned in the initial power check ... but it was the first mention of it for me so I had to reread everything ... I finally joined this forum and found how to DL the boot-loader but I was so far out of sequence that I blew something ... now I'm ready to call it quits ....What a shame ... I was so close to completion. You could have a great kit but you write the instructions as though this is not the first time we assembled this kit. Get someone to build it ... and instead of verbally answering their questions ,,, write it down in the instructions
It's my fault for trying to save a few bucks by not getting an assembled unit on EBay ... almost every thing went well with assembly ,( a few problems with ceramic cap values from bad Id) until the power test took place ...I had the 5v but the red led did not blink .... did the checks on the caps and pin 20 (U4) but was unsure what voltage I should have ,,,, got totally confused when it mentioned Bob boards as optional. This forced me to read ahead a few paragraphs but there was no mention of the Bootloader until after the check that said the bootloader needed to be installed for the red LED to blink. So I attempted to install the software (Bootloader) but was unsure what the jumper settings should be , Ileft them open ... tried again to do LED blink but noticed the unmistakable smell of "Crispy Critters" . Killed power and did a visual but nothing was obvious ... re-powered and found that the 5v had dropped to 2V.
Also found the kit to be missing 20 pin strip

Time for a beer and a Zoloft

Tom Harmon
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Sorry to know your kit didn't work. We agree that the documents do need to be improved. And this kit is not that suitable for beginers.

How is your kit now? Do you know which parts were damaged?