Seems to restart when trying to turn off with ADJ-dial

Anything about this unique oscilloscope DIY kit
blixten

Seems to restart when trying to turn off with ADJ-dial

Post by blixten »

I just finished building the DSO 068 a couple of days ago, and when USB powered, it seems to work as intended. My intention was however to use it on battery power, and finally after a lot of searching an managed to find a battery that fitted.

So I opened JP2 to be able to turn it ON and OFF by pressing the ADJ-dial for 3 seconds,
and mounted the pre-charged battery.

It powered ON when pressing the ADJ-dial, and seems to run as intended, but problem occurred when trying to turn it OFF.
The screen only seems to flicker a bit and then it seems to restarts (bootloader shows up), and a lot of the times after that, it does NOTHING work! Some time doesn't even the keypad starts (i.e. not listed beside main firmware version, after bootloader screen). I had to open the box and disconnect the battery to get it to power off.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

BTW, this is the state of the jumpers in the "POWER SUPPLY & USB"-box of the schematic
JP1 - open
JP2 - open
JP3 - open
JP4 - closed
JP5 - open
...and it is and Rev. H PCB

...and I have double checked the soldering of BOB3 (JYE117)

...and I also noticed that the RESET button (SW12) is only connected to the ATmega64 (main MCU), so it will NOT reset the ATmega48 (Keypad). So that is useless if there is a problem with the keypad, as in the case described above.

Why is that NOT also connected to the ATmega48 ???
shop

Re: Seems to restart when trying to turn off with ADJ-dial

Post by shop »

Hello.
Check if battery is not pressing internal reset button on mainboard when cover is closed.
blixten

Post by blixten »

I have placed the battery as close as possible to the bottom edge, and the battery isn't wide enough to reach the reset button
shop

Post by shop »

In my case short knob press immidiately turns on scope. To turn it off i must press knob longer (maybe 1 second). Try short JP2 (check please I don't sure if i am correct. Short this one jumper that is for bypassing switch) and check if scope work as intended without switch board and closed case. Of course power on/off will be not working and you will have to disconnect battery to power it off.
blixten

Post by blixten »

For me, a short press turns it on, and a long press restart it.

I shorted JP2, plugged in the battery, closed the case it seems to work as intended. So there is something wrong with on/off switch handling, hardware and/or software.
jye1

Post by jye1 »

@blixten:

Can you check and post the keypad firmware version? It is displayed at power up with digits like 113-06802-XXX where XXX is the version number.
blixten

Post by blixten »

The Keypad firmware is : 006802-030.
I think that one of the reasons why it does not work could be that sometimes when the ADJ-dial is pressed the keypad firmware doesn't start at all (there is no firmware version displayed, just an empty row)
Schuie

Post by Schuie »

Hi I had the same trouble I was sent a newly designed bob 3 board which still did not rectify the problem my solution to this was to fit a small switch and break the battery connection which has solved the problem see the photos of mod regards
Schuie
Attachments
211CB662-3227-4EB0-BDDE-51935121C0F9.jpeg
2C80E616-2F22-41A0-B9FA-5AF53895723B.jpeg
blixten

Post by blixten »

I did a similarly thing. I simply removed the over-complicated BOB3 and added a switch instead of JP2. Well actually, I used the pads 1 and 3 of where BOB3 was mounted, since they are bigger and the same thing.
And since the external battery shouldn't be used when there is an internal there, I removed the connector (J2), and used that hole for the switch.