DSO068 - bulit - passed all tests - then died

Anything about this unique oscilloscope DIY kit
andyflo

DSO068 - bulit - passed all tests - then died

Post by andyflo »

Howdy Folks,
I built this scope paying particular attention to correct values and correct placement and the build went smoothly with all the BOB cards in (tricky little buggers to solder in).

So, with the case open and all correct jumpers in place, I set up the probe compensation - all good - measured the waveform exactly like the construction manual said.

Switched it on and off a cuple of times and tried all the various menu items - no problem.

THEN I added the battery and things went really pear shaped thereafter.

On reset LED flashes once, then three times (not two) and the booting screen comes up and stays on the flash screen - won't go past this point.

I also did the PF6 to GND and peusg S12 (Reset) but same thing no response to this at all.

So I'll now follow the guidelines of downloading the main program (no bootloader) and I have bypassed BOB2 - JP1 bridged (this also did make no difference as after I did this, tested again and still just freezing on the splash screen).

Can't do this now, as I'm going on a business trip but will do when I return.

I guess my question is what warranty is on parts and I've checked for anything odd, no shorts or anything, even left the unit off, battery in which charged the battery fully overnight - ran the unit off the battery and still stuck at spalsh screen and would not tune off then...

Cheers
jye1

Re: DSO068 - bulit - passed all tests - then died

Post by jye1 »

When do the forced factory default restore please try powering off and then powering up, not just press the button S12 since that might not really do reset.
wwe432

Post by wwe432 »

I am having similar problems. The scope worked for a little while except the rotary encoder was intermittent then it stopped working at all and I was stuck in the scope mode. After pressing all the buttons a few times I could reset it and it would boot up but go no further. Then it hung up in the boot mode. Now it won't even boot. It starts with a low contrast grid image. The reset and power on/off function work but nothing else. The +5V, -5V are okay and the 20 MHz. crystal oscillator is working. I tried shorting PF6 on J7 to ground and turning the power on but that didn't help. I have ordered an AVR programmer to see if I can reflash the firmware. Will I be able to reflash the boot loader if necessary? And will J4 need to be installed to use the programmer? I am getting a square wave of approximately 700Hz and 2.8Vpp at J5, pin 1 (MOSI).
jye1

Post by jye1 »

Yes you can re-flash the bootloader. That gives you option to upload firmware through the bootloader. But you can also re-flash only the main firmware if you stick to using programmer.