Passed Power-On Tests but Now Won't Turn On SOLVED

Anything about this unique oscilloscope DIY kit
amocjr

Passed Power-On Tests but Now Won't Turn On SOLVED

Post by amocjr »

After doing this http://www.jyetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1230 to deal with JP9, my unit passed the second power-on test in Step 2 with flying colors. I was able to adjust the LCD's contrast, all the buttons worked, all the switches worked, the rotary encoder worked, and all test points tested where they should be.

So, I removed the solder bridge from JP2 per the instructions to proceed with the capacitor adjustment in Step 3.

But now the unit won't turn on.

There's +5.6 volts at VBUS, and the SMT LED on BOB2 lights (dimly), but no amount of pushing the Adjust button will turn the unit on.

All the BOB boards are installed, JP4 is bridged in accordance with the directions, I've checked the entire board with a flashlight and magnifying glass for bad solder joints, bridges, etc., and everything looks good.

This is actually quite frustrating.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by amocjr on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amocjr

Re: Passed Power-On Tests but Now Won't Turn On SOLVED (I th

Post by amocjr »

Resoldered some of the solder bridges connecting BOB3 to the main board. BOB3 is labeled "On/Off switch" in the instructions, so I figured that was the likely culprit. Turned out it was.

On to Step 3!

BTW, 90-degree headers would be a much better solution for attaching the BOB's to the main PCB instead of relying on solder bridges for both electrical connection and mechanical support.

Cheers!
jye1

Re: Passed Power-On Tests but Now Won't Turn On SOLVED

Post by jye1 »

Good to know you got the issue solved.

We did consider to use 90 degree headers at first. But the space is too tight. There is a downside for those headers too. They will be harder to remove once installed.